The Writers' Group had a great post Monday titled Be Bold that really inspired me. In short form (although I encourage you to read the original post), the writer was having a hard time deciding if she should write the ending she *wanted* to write for her story, or play it safe and tone things down. She was inspired by hearing a short story by another author at a reading that was "bold and elegant and brilliant and stunning, quiet and touching, but most of all bold", and in her own story wound up writing the ending she'd had in mind all along.

I admit, put that way, the story doesn't sound that incredible. But when I read that post, something clicked. I often find myself toning things down, trying not to get too carried away, while I'm working on this revised plot. And sometimes I need it- I have a strong tendency toward melodrama- but sometimes I should just write the story that I want to write. If I'm not excited about the plot I'm coming up with, how can I expect a reader to be excited about it? I need to remember to be confident. To be bold. To be myself.

1 comments:

Hi, Amy, thanks for the nod. You should absolutely write the story you want to write. With my first manuscript, I toned it down and it flopped. Boooring! This time around, I followed my heart instead. My debut novel, Tethered, will be published in September by Random House. So, yes, be bold.

Amy MacKinnon

February 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM  

Older Post Home